Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Years Resolutions

Momma always has a New Years Resolution and that is a good personal introspective goal but there is one we can all share and use to help us attain other goals.
Momma Explains: Every year I realize there is an area or areas that need improvement in my life, body or attitude. I am human, not perfect, a work in progress at all times. It is therefore common to seek to find a better me. One of the best pieces of advice that I ever received came from a priest. It was a piece of advice that seemed at first both self centered and demanding yet upon reflection it made sense and sensibility. I asked the priest what prayer he said to begin each day. He responded, " I pray for myself first each day." My immediate response was to think that we should pray for others first and then ourselves but he had a good point. If we pray for ourselves in a selfless manner, requesting guidance toward our interactions with others, then we begin each day perfecting ourselves FOR others. It is an interesting way of looking at prayer and I do try to begin each day praying for myself and my actions on behalf of others. Perhaps a good New Years Resolution would be to try to improve our prayer life as well as ourselves. Pray for yourself, I do.

1 comment:

  1. What a good New Years Resolution! There's a billboard by my house that says "Say one Hail Mary." It's amazing how something out of the ordinary can jar you into a few moments of quiet reflective prayer.

    ReplyDelete