Thursday, February 25, 2010

One gift wonder

An Act of Charity

"O my God, I love Thee above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because Thou art all good and worthy of all love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of Thee. I forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured. Amen."



Momma
has a quick suggestion for Lent.

Momma Explains
: During Lent, I sometimes feel called to do as many things as possible. It is a desire to improve myself so that after Easter Sunday, I have somehow become a super Christian. As if through a multitude of Lenten activities, I could suddenly transform into a Saint. I need a lot of work for that to happen. Yet, it is good to have goals that will improve us spiritually and hopefully benevolently affect others. So if you seem to aim for an extravagant improvement do not be daunted. Start small, start with just one act of charity. I find acts of charity allow me to look beyond myself and toward the needs of others. It can be any action that aids your fellow man. Sometimes, you write a check for a financial need, make a meal for a family who is pinched, help an elderly neighbor or just drop off extra donations at your church food bank. When you do this act of giving, you can add a small prayer for the recipient. It really is amazing how little time it takes to help someone, and yet would not the world be an amazing place if we all were working that charitably?
Have a joyous Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment